When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, "It's a ghost!" But Jesus spoke to them at once. "Don't be afraid," he said. "Take courage. I am here!" Then Peter called to him, "Lord, if it's really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water." "Yes, come," Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. (Matthew 14:26-29, NLT)
Yesterday during a session with my life coach, I was explaining to her a situation I was going through that brought on feelings of anxiety and she asked me a simple question. She recounted the story of Peter walking on water in Matthew 14 and asked if I were there during that time, would I have stayed in the boat or walked on water? Without hesitation I said I would have stayed in the boat while looking at Peter like he was crazy. However, as we explored more of who I am, she helped me to see that my response would have been just like Peter. As a matter of fact she pointed out that I'm currently walking on water but being distracted by the winds and the waves, like Peter was, which is causing me to lose focus and sink. She encouraged me by saying that no matter what I face, I will not drown and all I have to do is cry out to Jesus and ask for help. God sent me exactly what I needed.
As you look at your life right now, would you say that you're walking on water or staying in the boat? Are you walking by faith and journeying through unchartered territory or are you staying in your comfort zone where it's familiar and safe? What do you really want to do? If you're okay with staying in the boat, that's fine. But if your desire is to walk on water, I encourage you to read about Peter's experience in Matthew 14 and let him inspire you. Peter saw Jesus walking, asked to join Him, walked on water, started sinking, cried out for help, and made it back to the boat safely with Jesus. Nowhere in that story does it say that Peter drowned. Likewise, no matter how overwhelming your situation may seem, you won't drown either. God gives us this promise in Isaiah 43:2, "When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you." If God has already said you won't drown, then what's the worse that can happen? You sink a little, but then you ask Jesus for help and make it safely to your destination. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.
So what will it be? Are you staying in the boat or will you step out on faith and start walking? The choice is up to you. ~SMC
Let's pray: Lord, I thank you for sending your servant to deliver an encouraging Word at the right time. I thank you for the reassurance that when we go through rivers of difficulty, we will not drown. I thank you that you're always there ready to help us up when we call. Thank you for never leaving or forsaking us. You are such an awesome God and today I choose to walk on water to glorify your name. Have your way in me. In Jesus' name, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment